Skip to main content
Angus Sim
User Champion
Asked a question 3 months ago

I’m trying to document which systems (software applications) are used at different steps in a process, what is the best way to do this?

Where am I?

In Skore you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

There are 2 main ways to capture systems on boxes. 

If your priority is to capture and see which systems are used, add systems as role on a whatbox.  

This is quick and easy, as you are capturing roles you can add any number of systems. 

I’m trying to document which systems (software applications) are used at different steps in a process, what is the best way to do this?

Above, I have added an icon in front of SharePoint so that it is more visual. The system will appear in the role manager, next to all other roles, and can be analysed in the same way as role.  

If your priority is analytics add systems as custom field

Add one (or more) custom fields to a box and capture the systems. A benefit is to be able to capture additional notes / comments in the custom field. This can help for further analysis down the line. Analytics capability with custom field are more comprehensive. 

You can decide your own naming convention for the Name and Grouping fields to be more relevant for your project. Example:

If you compare the 2 examples above, the reports will be grouped differently. Choose what is best for your use case!

Sam Leitch
Customer Success Manager

Hi Angus,

For me, the best way to document systems within a process, is to attribute systems to activities within the process. This can be achieved by entering a system name into the 'role' field of any given activity box. You can even include an icon (my icon of choice is 'gears') to make it visually easy for the viewer to recognise the difference between a company role and a system on the same activity.

You can also utilise a responsibilities matrix against the system such as RACI to represent whether the system for example is responsible for performing a task, consulted by a user or informed (information entered into system) as part of the activity. 

A further benefit of using the 'role' function to capture systems, is that this information is harvested for use in many of the modules Skore offer. The 'Role Manager' will compile all activities a system is involved in, allowing you to build a picture of the requirements for a future system or ascertaining the utilisation of a current system.  

Similarly, the Quantify module will utilise system information as a role to allow you to complete scenario planning, costing and much much more.